Friday, November 26, 2010

A Belated Thanksgiving

As I was heading back from Borough this morning and contemplating the menu and effort for tonite's belated Thanksgiving meal, I started thinking about all the things that I have to be thankful for.  I try to do this every now and then (it beats thinking about the things you aren't thankful for), but it does help to have-what I consider to be-a special day set aside for that very thing.  As I started to compile my mental list, it gave me cause for pause when I realized just how much I have to be thankful for:
  • A pretty amazing Dad, that at the age of 74, is still healthy and happy
  • The most incredible boyfriend/fiance/soon-to-be-husband ever. Yes, I know that many women think this, but I'm fairly certain that mine really is the *most* incredible.  If for no other reason than he puts up with my crap. :)
  • The best circle of friends (on both continents-and a few places inbetween...) anyone could ask for. Period.
  • My health.  For all of the little aches & pains, the fact that I can still put one foot in front of the other, day in and day out, with ease makes me grateful.
  • A relatively stable financial base.  No, I'm not trying to say money is everything, and Simon & I are by no means 'rich' (I wouldn't poo-poo a $1M donation to us!...), but the fact that we don't have to choose between the cheapest toilet paper, or worry about whether or not we can afford to turn the heat on when it's cold outside-and it's cold outside!-makes me feel quite thankful, and considering the fairly modest-income backgrounds we both come from, I certainly don't take it for granted.
  • And at least 10 other things that would make this a long winded post if I continued.
A belated Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  If you can all feel at least half as thankful as I do, you're in a pretty good place!

No comments:

Post a Comment