Monday, April 12, 2010

East London Field Trip

I don't want to jinx us by saying that Spring has finally arrived, but the past 5 days certainly make it seem that way!  So, while I still have some time off from work, I'm trying to be out and about as much as possible. On Friday, I decided to give East London another try.  I'd just received Taste Britain two days before, and had decided to put it to some local use.  So, after much debate, I decided to head East to Pellicci's for lunch and on my way back West, to the Algerian Coffee Stores.
Where to begin?...I got to Pellicci's at 12.30, which was just in time to beat the rush.  The inside (maybe 20 seats) was already packed, but there was a free table outside-fine by me; it was a lovely day.  I was barely there for a moment before I was being given a menu and asked what I wanted to drink.  Nothing on the menu is more than £6.40 (sandwiches for 2 quid?  OK!), and the £6.40 meals were for meat and two veg-type family-style Italian meals.  I had just walked a mile to get there, so I opted to splurge on a proper meal-grilled lemon chicken with potatoes and cabbage.  Wow.  It was delicious!  The server, when I told him that's what I wanted, said 'Good choice-my mamma was just making the chicken this morning.'  It really felt like a home cooked mea,  and the food was simply fab-fresh, simple, full of flavor..  Total for my bill, which included a can of Coke?....£7.20.   Seriously, if I would have had that meal in Central London, you could easily have doubled or tripled the price!  As I was paying to leave, the server asked me if I enjoyed the meal.  I told him, 'it's very unfortunate.  I live in West London, so coming here is a bit of a hike.  But, it's completely worth it!  The food is delicious.'  I'm sure he hears this a dozen times a day, but he still seemed quite pleased, and as I was putting my change in my purse, he said 'young lady-wait a minute' (I *love* anyone who still calls me young lady! :))...and he reached into the pastry case and handed me a piece of bread pudding:  "my mamma just made this this morning.  please take a piece and enjoy.'  How incredibly sweet. 
While I was at the restaurant, I got the distinct feeling that I was the only person there who doesn't come in at least 3 times a week; now I understand why.  Great food.  Great service.  Great prices.  If you find yourself with some free time, make the effort; you won't be disappointed!

On my way back West, I opted to find the Algerian Coffee Stores.  Never one to turn down a good cup-or opportunity to smell good beans (which seems to be the calling card of this tiny shop), I ventured into tourist-town near Piccadilly Circus to find the shop.  It's barely large enough to fit 10 people in, but the selection of beans-flavoured and normal, and the selection of equipment is by far the most complete collection I've ever seen.  I could easily have stayed in there for an hour and scoured the shelves, but it was too cramped to do so (2pm on a Friday.  my mistake...).  So, I stayed long enough to buy some beans and a double espresso (yum), and headed out.

All in all, a pretty successful field trip.  I think I'll have to break open the book again this week and try another suggestion or two!

1 comment:

  1. Heya! I'm loving your blog! I'm going to put you in my fave blogs list. ^_^

    ReplyDelete