Wednesday, March 10, 2010

It's the Corn, Silly!

Since moving here, I've noticed that my eating habits have shifted.  Namely, I'm eating less beef-ground (mince, as the Brits say) to be specific...I don't eat as much gound beef because it tastes different than US beef, and it's a taste I haven't been able to adapt to.  It's more 'earthy' for lack of a better way to put it.
Well, two weeks ago, I finally figured out why.  I was taken to a business lunch at Automat, a Mayfair American-style restaurant perhaps most well known as the location of where Renee Zellweger 'plumped up' for her Bridget Jones role.  Well, I have to say, I can certainly understand why!  The food was fantastic, and the burger I had tasted like 'home'.  Read:  AMERICAN Beef.  Why?  Because, it was actually 'USDA Corn-fed Beef'-it proudly said so on the menu.  Corn-fed:  the same stuff that I now know is completely harmful to the food industry (both beef rearing and corn-farming) in the US.  Anyone who has read Omnivores Dilemma will know this.

So, while in Automat it hit me: it's the corn, silly!  This is why UK beef tastes so different-cattle are grass-fed, not corn-fed!  And worst part?  I prefer the no-good-for-me-no-good-for-the-cows, Corn-Fed beef.

Hmph.  I am a horrible, horrible omnivore.

No comments:

Post a Comment